Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to an Alternative

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Mon Apr 11 06:16:36 UTC 2011

> You get their filtering power for free and don't have to deal with the
> hardware, if you don't particularly like it.
>
> http://www.barracudacentral.org/

That's not completely true; the Barracuda appliance uses both
block-lists and content-based filtering.  The block-list is free for
anyone who wants it, but the content-based filtering is not.

However, the block-list *is* now one of the best ones out there.  They
had a rocky start, but in the last year they have consistently
outperformed most of the other no-charge block-lists both in terms of
catch rate and false positive rate.

Spamhaus has long been one of my favorites for its performance, but I am
now seeing Barracuda beat them each month in catch rate, sometimes by a
nice margin.  (FP rate for both lists is about the same; VERY close to
zero.)  If you like Spamhaus, you should try Barracuda block-list and
see if it helps in your mail stream.   (Every stream is different, so my
results may not match your results.)

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494