Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to an Alternative?

Ray Corbin rcorbin at traffiq.com
Mon Apr 11 05:21:43 UTC 2011

I also use postini and it works really well for my current needs.

<rant>I had experience with Barracuda as outbound anti-spam filters for a very large hosting provider and I won't use Barracuda again. Some of their methods for blocking spam are a tad extreme. At one point they decided to block both yahoo.com and google.com in their domain filters because neither company responded timely to their complaint emails and wanted their attention...not to mention their buggy 'spam engine' that died many times causing mail to error with 'failure to connect to 127.0.0.1'... I especially loved their tier 1's response of how the issue is on the recipients end because they couldn't telnet to mail.domain.com from their workstation...I had to first explain how mail.domain.com wasn’t the MX record for domain.com (it ironically was a postini MX record) and that it was obvious when thousands of messages sit in the inbound queue saying 'failure to connect to 127.0.0.1' meant their engine died and their 'watchdog' process failed to restart it. To me their Tier 1 unable to do the basics was pretty unacceptable.
</rant>

-r