Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Sat Apr 9 11:31:16 UTC 2011

Dear All,

On 8 Apr 2011, at 19:34, Lori Jakab wrote:

> On 04/08/2011 06:39 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> LISP can also be a good option. Comes with slightly more overhead in terms of
>> encapsulation/etc. than the GRE tunnels I use and has limited (if any) functionality
>> for IPv4 (which GRE supports nicely).
>
> Maybe you meant ILNP here? AFAIK, IPv4 and IPv6 are equal citizens for LISP.

Comparing GRE with LISP is like comparing /etc/hosts with the global DNS system. ;-)

I don't understand the comments about LISP and IPv4. IPv4 works just excellent with LISP. I have a IPv4 block at home which I multi-home over my IPv6-only DSL and IPv4-only FTTH line.

LISP is pretty address family agnostic: IPv4 over IPv4, IPv4 over IPv6, IPv6 over IPv4, IPv6 over IPv6, all work without problems.

Kind regards,

Job