Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Daniel STICKNEY dstickney at optilian.com
Thu Apr 7 09:27:01 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I'm investigating how to setup multihoming for IPv6 over two DSL lines
(different ISPs), and I wanted to see if this wheel has already been
invented. Has anyone already set this up or tested it ?

In my research into the proposed solutions I came across this document
"IEEE Communications Surveys - 2nd Quarter 2006, Volume 8, No. 2"
(http://www.shim6.org/path-to-mh.pdf) which seems quite thorough. It
compares routing methods, middle-box methods, and host-centric methods.
It mentions "During the last years, the IETF has made several explicit
or implicit architectural decisions regarding IPv6 multihoming. The main
decision is to go down the path of developing the host-centric
approaches" as well as "Host-centric multihoming, the approach promoted
by the IETF for IPv6 multihoming, [...]". After the comparison of all
host-centric methods it adds " [...], the IETF has decided by the end of
2004 to foster the SHIM approach."

This approach looks interesting to me after all the comparisons, though
I'm less familiar with it. I'm interested to hear your real-world
experiences on this topic.

Thanks,
Daniel