LAGing backbone links

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Apr 5 19:05:59 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 16:30, Shane Amante wrote:
> 1)  Be mindful of the number of component-links you can put into a
> single LAG.  This varies by platform.  In general, for higher-end
> routers/switches the minimum number of component-links in a single
> LAG is 16.

Some older equipment will unequally prefer certain links over others,
depending on the number of members in the LAG.  I.e. a 2-member LAG
might load balance equally under ideal conditions, but a 3-member LAG
might naturally load balance 2:2:1.  This is particularly a problem if
you have, say an 8-member LAG and you lose a single member, which could
drop your overall throughput to the total of 4 members.

Nick