State of QoS peering in Nanog

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Apr 4 20:55:26 UTC 2011

On 04/03/2011 12:50 PM, Stefan Fouant wrote:
> [...]

There is no magic here at all.

There are dark buffers all over the Internet; some network operators run
routers and broadband without RED enabled, our broadband gear suffers
from excessive buffering, as does our home routers and hosts.

What is happening, as I outlined at the transport area meeting at the
IETF in Prague, is that by putting in excessive buffers everywhere in
the name of avoiding packet loss, we've destroyed TCP congestion
avoidance and badly damaged slow start while adding terrible latency and
jitter.  Tail drop with long buffers delays notification of congestion
to TCP, and defeats the algorithms.  Even without this additional
problem (which causes further havoc), TCP will always fill buffers on
either side of your bottleneck link in your path.

So your large buffers add latency, and when a link is saturated, the
buffers on either side of the saturated links fill, and stay so (most
commonly in the broadband gear, but often also in the hosts/home routers
over 802.11 links).

By running with AQM (or small buffers), you reduce the need for QOS
(which doesn't yet exist seriously in the network edge).

See my talk in http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/PragueIETF/
(slightly updated since the Prague IETF) and you can listen to it at

  http://ietf80streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf80/ietf80-ch4-wed-am.mp3

A longer version of that talk is at:http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/BellLabs01192011/

Note that there is a lot you can do immediately to reduce your personal suffering, by using bandwidth shaping to reduce/eliminate the buffer problem in your home broadband gear, and by ensuring that your 802.11 wireless bandwidth is always greater than your home broadband bandwidth (since the bloat in current home routers can be even worse than in the broadband gear).

See http://gettys.wordpress.com for more detail.  Please come help fix this mess at bufferbloat.net.