HIJACKED: 159.223.0.0/16 -- WTF? Does anybody care?

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Sat Apr 2 23:09:22 UTC 2011

I may regret wading into this one....

Regarding posting from a Gmail account, I'm also posting from a non-work
account, for two reasons. One, our company policy is to tag an annoying
legal disclaimer onto every outbound message, and two, I don't want
anything I say on this list to come back on the company I work for. I'm
not authorized to speak for them, so I won't.

When it comes to abuse complaints, we investigate and act to protect our
customers and our network when we determine that abuse is indeed
happening. Only after we deal with the immediate threat do we contact
our customer to let them know. Although there are cases of intentional
abuse, the majority of the time the customer has no idea what we're
talking about. They have to get their tech people or an outside support
company to look into the problem, and then they call us back when they
have it fixed. Sometimes we work directly with their tech people to help
them identify the source.

We would NEVER "out" the customer to the public, even if we felt the
abuse was intentional. My CEO and our lawyers would blow a gasket if we
were to potentially libel a customer. There have been plenty of times
when I was every bit as frustrated as some of the people on this list,
but to start naming names without proof? Won't happen.

Jason