HIJACKED: 159.223.0.0/16 -- WTF? Does anybody care?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Apr 1 12:38:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:36:55AM -0400, Atticus wrote:
> Maybe, if you didn't act like a flaming douchebag, and were polite to
> people, they would be more interested in helping you out.

And were it ten or fifteen years ago, I might agree with you.

But it's not.  By now, everyone knows, or darn well should know, that abuse
of all descriptions has long since passed the threshold of "epidemic" and
is approaching "pervasive".  With that in mind, everyone should also realize
that it's their obligation to do anything/everything they can to assist the
collaborative network community in (a) identifying abusers and (b) denying
them services -- permanently.

Which means that if, for example, an entity is identified as being
involved in network hijacking or phishing or spamming or whatever, that
everything known about them should be published -- including scans of any
paper documents involved.   There is no reason to protect filth like this,
and every reason to out them.  They flourish, in large part, precisely
because that *doesn't* happen.

And while Ron's bedside manner might be a little abrasive from time to
time (and so's mine, so I'm not criticizing), he's a cupcake compared to
kind of sociopaths we're up against.  If you can't handle a few mildly
toasty comments from him, then you're no match at all for them.

So the hell with his prose: focus on the matter at hand.  Let's find out
what happened here and how, who's responsible, and what it'll take to stop
them from doing it again and again.

Because they will.

---rsk