RIP Justification

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu Sep 30 09:32:59 UTC 2010

> I think BGP is better for that job, ultimately because it was
> specifically designed for that job, but also because it's now
> available
> in commodity routers for commodity prices e.g. Cisco 800 series.

+1 - for me, if I need a dynamic routing protocol between trust / administrative domains, it's BGP unless there's a good reason not to.  I find it more straightforward to work with (albeit slightly more up-front to configure it and get it right) than anything else - the information available is a very clear "who am I talking to?" / "what routes do I send them?" / "what routes do they send me?".  Plus I can work through the route-selection process by hand from the information displayed, and have it make sense.

Regards,
Tim.