RIP Justification

Christopher Gatlin chris at travelingtech.net
Thu Sep 30 00:31:26 UTC 2010

My point here is untrusted networks, such as business partners exchanging
routes with each other.  Not many hops and less than a 100 prefixes.

Using BGP to exchange routes between these types of untrusted networks is
like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  BGP was designed for unique AS's
to peer in large scale networks such as the internet.  A far cry from
business partners exchanging dynamic routes for fault tolerance.

I've seen RIPv2 very successfully deployed in modern networks in this
fashion.  I advocate using an appropriate tool for the job.

Christopher Gatlin
CCIE #15245 (R&S/Security)