Randy in Nevis

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Sep 29 13:29:35 UTC 2010

John Peach <john-nanog at johnpeach.com> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:06:02 +0200
> Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>
>> It's common knowledge that 465 *was* smtps.  A decade ago.  But it has
>> never gone anywhere, and it is way overdue for an "obsolete" tag.
>> Everyone actually caring about SMTP over SSL are using STARTTLS on
>> port 25 and 587.  The faster we kill SMTPS the better.  Keeping it in
>> current /etc/services and the like is only going to confuse people.
>
> You obviously don't use a Blackberry with an imap(s) server.....

No, I obviously don't. But I'm eager to be educated: What the heck does
imap(s) have to do with port 465/tcp?

I can guess...  I have also been frustrated while trying to configure
all sorts of MUAs. But don't you think that you had been better off if
the 465/tcp entry in /etc/services had been updated when it should, 5
years ago, on the system where that Blackberry MUA was developed?

If you fix /etc/services today then maybe you don't have the same
problem with your new Blackberry 5 years from now.

Bjørn