Mobile Operator Connectivity

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:32:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Jared Geiger <jared at compuwizz.net> wrote:
> I would suggest getting on the GRX network. As an enterprise you
> should be able to get IPX service from any number of providers.
> Belgacom, Syniverse, and Sybase365 all offer IP data service onto the
> GRX. Then you aren't limited to just the US carriers, you'll be able
> to reach most all carriers globally.

Folks, GRX is for data roaming between mobile providers, not for
connecting eye balls and content.  Only mobile operators are members
of the GRX, not customers of mobile operators or content of any sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_Roaming_Exchange

Here's an example, I am a T-Mobile USA subscriber.  I travel to Canada
and roam on to Rogers's network.  When i start a data session on my
mobile phone,  Rogers passes all the data traffic back to T-Mobile via
the GRX peering exchange.   When in Canada, my HTTP traffic does not
exit in Canada, it is tunneled back via GRX peering to T-Mobile in the
USA and exit's in the USA.  The roamed into network (Roger's in my
example) is just an access network to reach the network that i
subscriber to (T-Mobile USA).

As someone else may have noted, your best best is to figure out where
the mobile providers peer out on the Internet and purchase access in
the same region and ISP as the mobile provider.  Also, as someone else
noted, some mobile providers do a lot of aggregation that adds
latency, other mobile providers are more distributed and punt to the
ISP closer to the user.

Regards,
Cameron
========