Software-based Border Router

Dylan Ebner dylan.ebner at crlmed.com
Mon Sep 27 20:59:15 UTC 2010

We have looked at using open source routers for our border, but in the end we cannot make the numbers add up. Once Cisco released the x9xx ISR2 routers, the x8xx have tanked in price on the used market. So, for about the same as a vyatta router running on newer hardware that you can trust you can get a 28xx or 38xx. If you also want support, Cisco will support these at less than $100/month and that gets you access to the IOS upgrades and a 4 hr. replacement window. I know I sleep better knowing Cisco will drop off a router in less than 4 hours if one of mine fails.

Dylan