Online games stealing your bandwidth

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 27 19:25:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:27:28 BST, Brandon Butterworth said:

> I fail to see the point. If an ISP needs to add caches they may
> as well just add a simple, cheaper, standard, http cache.

It's a bang-per-buck issue, and depends highly on whether your
particular network sees more HTTP or P2P traffic.  If HTTP is 60%
of your traffic, an http cache makes sense.  If P2P is 70% and
HTTP is 20%, it probably doesn't make sense.

And the only numbers that matter here are what *you* measure
at the point you intend to install the cache - I've seen so many
conflicting numbers for different parts of the net that no firm
conclusions can be drawn.