Routers in Data Centers

Christian Martin christian.martin at teliris.com
Mon Sep 27 02:46:48 UTC 2010

On Sep 26, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 09:24:54PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>>
>> And, not to mention that some vendors do it sometimes.
>>
>> "The 9-slot Cisco Catalyst 6509 Enhanced Vertical Switch (6509-V-E)
>> provides [stuff]. It also provides front-to-back airflow that is
>> optimized for hot and cold aisle designs in colocated data center and
>> service provider deployments and is compliant with Network Equipment
>> Building Standards (NEBS) deployments."
>
> A classic 6509 is under 15U, a 6509-V-E is 21U. Anyone can do front to
> back airflow if they're willing to bloat the size of the chassis (in
> this case by 40%) to do all the fans and baffling, but then you'd have
> people whining about the size of the box. :)

I would point out that it is quite possible to build a compact (say 4-5 U) front-back airflow platform if vendors were willing to pay to engineer a small midplane and leverage modular I/O cards in a single vertical arrangement.  As an example, envisage an M10i with 8 single height PIC slots, rear mounted RE/PFE combos, and a top/bottom impeller.  Same for a 72/73xx, or whatever platform you fancy.  But would it make business sense?  You'd lose rack space in favor of thermal efficiency.

I think the push toward cloud computing and the re-emergence of big datacenters with far more stringent power and heat restrictions may actually drive such a move.   I guess we'll see...