Software-based Border Router

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Sep 26 20:35:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Nathanael C. Cariaga
<nccariaga at stluke.com.ph> wrote:
> Thank you for the prompt response.  Just to clarify my previous
> post, I was actually referring to Linux/Unix-based routers.
> We've been considering this solution because presently we
> don't have any budget for equipment acquisition this year.

What's your time worth?

Quagga on Linux is a fine software, but messing with the
idiosyncrasies is far more time consuming than buying a Cisco 2811,
adding enough RAM to handle BGP, configuring it once and forgetting
about it.

Also bear in mind that while your ISP's engineers can help you
configure your Cisco router, Quagga is a mystery to them. You can
still get help... but not from someone who also knows how the ISP's
network is configured.

This is not a problem if you have lots of experience with BGP routing. Do you?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004