Routers in Data Centers

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Sep 26 15:26:59 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> said:

> Bakplanes make direct front to back cooling hard. non-modular platforms can do it just fine however.

There are servers and storage arrays that have a front that is nothing
but hot-swap hard drive bays (plugged into backplanes), and they've been
doing front-to-back cooling since day one.  Maybe the router vendors
need to buy a Dell, open the case, and take a look.

The server vendors also somehow manage to make an empty case that costs
less than $10,000 (they'll even fill it up with useful stuff for less
than that).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>