Routers in Data Centers

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Fri Sep 24 20:55:19 UTC 2010

Historically, you would find that routers designed for long-haul transport (Cisco GSR/CRS, Juniper M-series, etc) generally had deeper buffers per-port and more robust QoS capabilities than datacenter routers that were effectively switches with Layer 3 logic bolted on (*coughMSFCcough*). That line has blurred quite a bit lately, however - Cisco's ES line cards are an example.

That said, there's plenty of debate as to whether or not these features actually make for a better long-haul router or not - I've seen more metro and national backbones built with Cat6500^H^H^H^H7600s than you'd think.

-C