Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

Darren Pilgrim nanog at bitfreak.org
Fri Sep 24 17:17:16 UTC 2010

Tom Mikelson wrote:
> Presently our organization utilizes BIND for DNS services, with the
> Networking team administering.  We are now being told by the Systems team
> that they will be responsible for DNS services and that it will be changed
> over to the Microsoft DNS service run on domain controllers.  The reason
> given is that the Active Directory implementation requires the Microsoft DNS
> service and dynamic DNS.

Bunk.  At work we have a network of ~1500 computers with over 600 of
them running Windows.  Our nameservers are all BIND, which have dynamic
DNS enabled for updates sent from our 2003 and 2008R2 DCs.  The DCs have
no problem creating, updating and deleting the various RR's they use to
publish the domain.  The Systems team folks will see errors/warnings in
the Windows logs because the Windows machines are unable to set up
secure connections to the nameservers and due to an implementation
difference between what BIND accepts and what Microsoft's OSes send; but
in practice these seem to be little more than noise.