Routers in Data Centers

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Sep 24 17:08:23 UTC 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 6:22 AM, Venkatesh Sriram wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can somebody educate me on (or pass some pointers) what differentiates
> a router operating and optimized for data centers versus, say a router
> work in the metro ethernet space? What is it thats required for
> routers operating in data centers? High throughput, what else?

While this question has many dimensions and there is no real
definition of either I suspect that what many people mean when they
talk about a DC routers is:
Primarily Ethernet interfaces
High port density
Designed to deal with things like VRRP / VLAN / ethernet type features.
Possibly CAM based, possibly smaller buffers.
Less likely to be taking full routes.

This is very similar to the religious debate about "What's the
difference between a 'real' router and a L3 switch?"

Just my 2 cents.

--
Consider orang-utans.
In all the worlds graced by their presence, it is suspected that they