Routers in Data Centers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 24 12:21:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:52:22 +0530, Venkatesh Sriram said:

> Can somebody educate me on (or pass some pointers) what differentiates
> a router operating and optimized for data centers versus, say a router
> work in the metro ethernet space? What is it thats required for
> routers operating in data centers? High throughput, what else?

There's corporate data centers and there's colo data centers. The two are
sufficiently different that the requirements are divergent.  For starters,
in a colo, the guy on blade 3 port 5 is quite possibly a competitor of
the guy who's got blade 2 port 17.  In the corporate data center, we
maintain the polite fiction that those two are working together for
a common goal.  This has implications for security features, billing,
bandwidth engineering, and almost every other feature on a router.