US hunters shoot down Google fibre

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Sep 21 21:39:16 UTC 2010

On 9/21/2010 2:53 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 6:04 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>
>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/232831,us-hunters-shoot-down-google-fibre.aspx
>>

> 1. Deer tend to hang out in little clearings while eating.  Little
> clearings like the right of way clearing 25 or 50 feet on each side of
> an electricity pylon.

Deer hang out in a lot of places that I wouldn't shoot them.

> 2.  Deer are easier to shoot when their silhouette is seen at or near
> the top of a ridge, especially if they are in a clearing as well.

This is why most states require hunter safety courses, which among other
things points out that not only should you be able to identify your
target, but you should have good visibility behind your target. Bullets
pass through animals (or miss), and continue to travel. Silhouette on a
ridge shootings is how people get shot accidentally.

> Combine #1 and #2, it is logical that even without "bubbas" the
> deer/fiber coincidence level would be high.

Any true hunter combining #1 and #2 should have his license permanently
revoked. Why not just shoot deer in headlights or on roads, or in
populated areas with people and houses behind them? (sarcasm)

That being said, there are plenty of people that just shoot things;
inanimate objects or animals (often without a license). The article
wasn't meant to be, but is insulting. Incidents involving guns, cars,
ATVs, etc, etc aren't too uncommon, though the damage for us is usually
less than a single wildfire (which melts the peds for the ground cable
and destroys the poles and cable for the aerial). Heck, we had a semi
riding the back roads (possibly to avoid highway patrol) snag an aerial
crossing the road. It was witnessed by the local gas station attendant.
he dragged the cabled for 1000 feet or so, ripping down poles. Stopped,
unhooked the cable from the truck, and drove off.

Jack