US hunters shoot down Google fibre

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Tue Sep 21 17:52:42 UTC 2010

Modern telephone pole aerial fiber uses all dialectric self-supporting
(ADSS) technology, where the self-supporting component consists
primarily of aramid yarn, the same material used for bullet-proof vests.
This makes for an extremely light weight, almost indestructible fiber
bundle. My guess is that ADSS fiber would deflect any bullets, or it
would take a very good marksman using a very high caliber weapon to
actually sever an aerial fiber.

Now in the case described below where optical ground wire (OPGW) fiber
is used as a component in the ground wire running at the top of high
voltage transmission towers, it may be possible to hit the insulators at
the top of the towers, but the ground wire itself is usually armored,
with ADSS inside. Seems far-fetched to me.