async serial fiber transceivers

Christopher O'Brien obriapqz at bc.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:34:01 UTC 2010

Greetings,
I am planning on deploying a console access server on my network for
20-30 network devices including routers, wireless controllers and other
devices.  The design is to have one central device for all console access.

Due to the geographic diversity of my campus, I will need need to carry
the async serial connections over my fiber plant with long reach optics
and single mode fiber.  I have the fiber plant to support this design.
I have been researching solutions to implement the serial part, but I am
not very familiar with the vendors I am coming up with.  For instance, I
know Black Box Networks makes products like this but they only seem to
have stand alone devices.  I was hoping for something rack mountable
since I will have a dense deployment of these devices.

Does anyone have experience deploying a solution like this or with async
serial fiber transceivers in general?  I welcome any suggestions.
-Chris