Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Mon Sep 20 14:13:03 UTC 2010

Active directly is tied fairly closely to it's DNS.

For example, if a client needs to find a Domain Controller, it does a
DNS 'SRV' query for (I think, I'm doing this from memory)
'_LDAP._TCP.domain.com/org/net/whatever'. I assume other 'services' like
LDAP are 'advertised' (if you can call it that) via DNS as well.

You MAY be able to duplicate all the records in BIND, but expect random
things to not work, and have to do a bunch of research figuring out what
DNS query it's doing, and what the proper answer is.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare
(303) 467-4671