Specifications for Internet services on public frequency

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Mon Sep 20 06:33:09 UTC 2010

Another +1 UBNT. We're using the NanoStation2 to deliver 802.11g to
remote camps in Afghanistan. They advertise a 60 deg LOS signal but it
seems to do much better. Supposedly they will reach 15 km but we've
never tried to use them that far. What's really neat is they come
ready to mount with some heavy duty zip ties.

I'm also a fan of the Cisco Aironet 1310, but we're using the built-in
omni-directional antennae so the range isn't as nice as the Ubiquity
and they cost about five times as much. The terminations are RG6 and
the mount kit comes with the cable and weather strips to protect the
terminations. The Ubiquity by comparison is all PoE so you'll want to
use loom to protect the ethernet cable.

I would venture to say that the UBNT omni-directional devices (eg.
PicoStation2HP) have better range than the aforementioned Aironet
1310.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team