Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Sep 17 23:24:42 UTC 2010

In a message written on Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:44:04PM +0000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Does that mean no CLECs like Covad or DSL.net who colocate in the AT&T
> CO, rent unbundled dry copper pairs and take it up from there themselves?

I found someone off list with access to Megapath's "Partner Portal"
where they can get the real scoop, and did that for my specific
location.

Short form:
  They can resell AT&T's lower speed ADSL (but not their top speeds)
  at a markup.

  They can resell Comcast's cable modem service at a markup.

  They can offer IDSL (ISDN Speeds) or SDSL from the actual CO,
  which they claim is 19k feet away, my google maps says 23k feet
  away.  The estimate is I could get 768k symmetric at that distance,
  which would mean 1/10th the bandwidth I have now at approximately
  5 times the cost I have now.

So I'm sure if you're a government bean counter or AT&T lobbyest
there is "competition" out of my CO, and I have options.   As a
consumer looking at the practical side of it I see no options, I
have a Telco or Cable company, with basically the same offerings
at the same speed at the same prices.

YMMV, likely a lot with where you live.