Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Sep 17 20:25:36 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 2:18 PM, JC Dill wrote:
> Jack Bates wrote:
>>
>> Is consumer grade bandwidth not deprioritised to business grade
>> bandwidth?
>
> Prioritization necessarily involves moving some traffic slower (because
> you can't move traffic faster) than some link (within the provider's
> network) allows, to allow "priority" traffic to more fully utilize the
> link while the other (non-priority) traffic is slowed. It effectively
> creates congestion points within the provider's network, if none existed
> prior to implementing the prioritization scheme. "I encourage all my
> competitors to do that."

And yet, I'm pretty sure there are providers that have different pipes
for business than they do for consumer, and probably riding some of the
same physical medium. This creates saturated and unsaturated pipes,
which is just as bad or worse than using QOS. The reason I'm pretty sure
about it, is business circuits generally are guaranteed, while consumer
are not.

Jack