Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Sep 16 18:44:27 UTC 2010

> Your statement misses the point, which is, *who* gets to decide what
> traffic is prioritized? And will that prioritization be determined by
> who is paying my carrier for that prioritization, potentially against
> my own preferences?

I would say that with standard "run of the mill" consumer service, the
provider decides.  If you want something custom, that would be
reasonable to offer, but you should be expected to pay a bit more for
that in order to maintain the non-standard configuration.  Maintaining a
different configuration for each user would be more expensive for the
provider than a "cookie-cutter" solution that makes the internet a
better experience for say 85% or more of the people out there.