Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 16 16:33:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:59:23 CDT, Joe Greco said:
>> What prevents a service provider from saying "We're selling you a
>> 15M/2M circuit, and we guarantee that we've got sufficient capacity
>> to consistently deliver at least 4M/512K through our network and to
>> our peers/upstreams?"
>
> Can I have that as "4M guaranteed, burstable to 15M, 95th percentile billing"?

No, you can't. You're buying a consumer-oriented commodity product.
Your few words pack a powerful amount of insider knowledge that the
overwhelming majority of consumers don't want to have to learn in
order to compare vendor offerings. So they aren't asked to. If you
want a non-commodity product you'll have to pay a non-commodity price
to a niche vendor.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004