Reverse DNS for IPv6 client networks

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Thu Sep 16 14:09:24 UTC 2010

I've written an internet-draft on the subject:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-04

The latest update was to add a Recommendations section:
The best option is for ISPs to delegate authority along with address
   delegation.  Where users do not operate authoritative name servers,
   the next best option is dynamic DNS updates.  Where dynamic DNS is
   impractical, the next best option is to dynamically generate PTR
   records when queried.

In other words, when you do prefix delegation to a residential
customer, generate records on the fly.  Ask your DNS vendor to
show you how.  Wildcards work if all you want is a non-null response.

I'm looking for support or opposition to this.  I just can't see any
better way to do it.

Lee