Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Tue Sep 14 07:55:19 UTC 2010

* Leo Bicknell:

> Rather than network neutrality, I'd simply like to see truth in
> advertising applied.  If my provider advertises "8 Mbps" service
> then I should be able to get 8 Mbps from Google, or Yahoo, or you,
> or anyone else on the network, provided of course they have also
> purchased an 8 Mbps or higher plan from their provider.

The interesting question is not so much bandwidth, but if the traffic
counts against your monthly usage cap.  For IPTV offered by your ISP,
it won't.  Likewise for Internet video platforms where your ISP has
obtained an ad-sharing deal.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99