Convenience or slippery slope... or something else?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Sep 10 17:44:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Reese wrote:

> A friend brought this to my attention:
>
> http://ipq.co/
>
> He saw it at http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1678324
>
> I'm not sure whether to shriek in joy or in pain. Will data from
> this service - if it is a worthy service - propagate properly?
> Play nicely with or break other people's toys? Is it a gimmick?

How's it going to break anything?  I just created one...

tentententen.ipq.co.    86400   IN      A       10.10.10.10

so...now I can use tentententen.ipq.co as a name that resolves to
10.10.10.10...assuming I trust ipq.co to keep that A record and not delete
or change it at some point.  Other than the fact that you can't change
it[1], how is this any different (other than being less useful) or scarier
than DynDNS?

1. EMAIL ADDRESS
optional, but will allow you to update the record later (once we implement
it)

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |