Sustaining the Internet with hyperbolic mapping

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Sep 9 16:12:50 UTC 2010

On 9/9/2010 7:24 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I had read this as well last night.  It's an interesting read and I was going to send the authors some feedback as it relates to the asymmetrical nature of BGP announcements impact on ASes, and seeking some of the data on the node/edge layouts that have been done.
>
> I'm quite excited to see research continue in this space.  I'm also hoping someone will spend time performing comparable analysis within the IPv6 sphere over the T-6 months and T+18/24 from now to watch what happens at this critical time in the IPv4 lifecycle.

It's interesting, but it reverts from the desired approach. Greedy
routing? I thought only Cogent did that. :P

Seriously, I took from it that we can make routing more scalable if we
remove features in common use today. Yet business demand is that we are
actually trying to increase the information we want to pass between
AS's. Between multicast/unicast v4/v6, mpls, extensive traffic
engineering, I don't see how the research could be applied.

Jack