Sustaining the Internet with hyperbolic mapping

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 9 10:23:26 UTC 2010

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v1/n6/full/ncomms1063.html

Sustaining the Internet with hyperbolic mapping

Marián Boguñá, Fragkiskos Papadopoulos & Dmitri Krioukov

Nature Communications 1 , Article number: 62 doi:10.1038/ncomms1063

Received 06 April 2010 Accepted 06 August 2010 Published 07 September 2010

Abstract

The Internet infrastructure is severely stressed. Rapidly growing overheads
associated with the primary function of the Internet—routing information
packets between any two computers in the world—cause concerns among Internet
experts that the existing Internet routing architecture may not sustain even
another decade. In this paper, we present a method to map the Internet to a
hyperbolic space. Guided by a constructed map, which we release with this
paper, Internet routing exhibits scaling properties that are theoretically
close to the best possible, thus resolving serious scaling limitations that
the Internet faces today. Besides this immediate practical viability, our
network mapping method can provide a different perspective on the community structure
in complex networks.

[full text snipped]