just seen my first IPv6 network abuse scan, is this the start for more?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Sep 3 18:42:16 UTC 2010

On 9/3/10 11:25 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>>> However, scanning in IPv6 is not at all like the convenience of comprehensive scanning of the IPv4 address space.
>>

>> Concur, but I still maintain that lots of illicit automation plus refined scanning via DNS, et. al. is a viable practice.
>
> These are very big numbers, so I don't see how.

Consider you have a dual stack deployment.

what are the most likely ipv6 numbering schemes you're likely to use to
number hosts.

If I query one of your hosts in the forward zone and get back and a and
a aaaa record what can I likely conclude about the numbering scheme for
that net?

joelja-mac:~ joelja$ host ns3.xxxxxx.net
ns3.xxx.net has address xxxx.xxx.0.81
ns3.xxx.net has IPv6 address xxxx:xxx:1::81

if you do stateful dhcp v6 assignment what are the likely constraints as
to the size of the pool you're going to use for that subnet.

This is like brute force password guessing... there's some high
probability answers that are low hanging fruit you reach for them, they
don't exist you move on.