largest OSPF core

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 01:45:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> In a message written on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 03:20:05PM +0300, lorddoskias wrote:
>>  I'm just curious - what is the largest OSPF core (in terms of number
>> of routers) out there?
>
> I'll admit to having seen a network with over 400 devices in an
> OSPF area 0, didn't design it, and in the end didn't get to work
> on it.

I know of a large enterprise with ~4k devices in area-0, according to
their vendor^H^H^H^H^Hdesigner that was all perfectly fine.

> Far as I know worked just fine though, no issues reported.  How
> well your IGP scales depends a lot more on what you put in it, and
> how dynamic your network situation is than the protocol or number
> of devices.

I think the only reason the one I saw worked at all was it was
relatively stable. If things happened though (like say the code-red
incident in ... whenever that was) the network turned into a steaming
pile of fail.

really, not a good plan, of course as Leo says ISIS probably gets
super unhappy if a large percent of interfaces start to go
bouncey-bouncey.

-Chris