largest OSPF core

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Sep 2 18:12:38 UTC 2010

> Subject: Re: largest OSPF core
>
> On 02/09/2010 13:20, lorddoskias wrote:
> >  I'm just curious - what is the largest OSPF core (in terms of number
> of
> > routers) out there?
>
> You don't expect anyone to actually admit to something like this? :-)

For giggles:

http://books.google.com/books?id=uBwEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA59&dq=practical+limits+of+OSPF&hl=en&ei=qud_TNTAFYL68AautJXoAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=practical%20limit&f=false

Network World April 9, 1990 (page 59):

"There is no practical limit to the number of interconnected networks OSPF and Dual Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System can support"...

"From the onset, OSPF was intended to be short-term, for IP-only"..

"Dual routing is intended to be more of a long-term solution because there will be very few pure OSI or TCP/IP routing environments in the future."

---

Technology prognosticators shouldn't try their hands in Vegas. Just saying.

With respect to these OSPF questions, how many people are running two OSPF processes on each router (v4 and v6) to support dual stack rather than migrating (or just enjoying their existing) ISIS (OSI) implementations?

Deepak