Failover IPv6 with multiple PA prefixes (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 - Unique local addresses)

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Oct 31 17:58:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> On 10/31/2010 9:31 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> If you have PI space, changing providers can be even easier and you can
>> leave
>> multiple providers running in parallel.
>
> That's a big IF, given the above. He doesn't qualify for PI space, thanks to
> ARIN policies set by people who want routing tables to stay as small as
> possible, so PI space to be as difficult as possible to obtain for people
> like him.

Would it help if ARIN's policies were changed to allow anyone and everyone
to obtain PI space directly from them (for the appropriate fee, of course), and
then it was left up to the operating community to decide whether or not to
route the smaller chunks of space?

Right now, we're trying to keep the two communities somewhat in alignment,
so that when people obtain IP space, they have a relatively good feeling about
it being routed correctly.  If we let the ARIN policies stray too far
from what the
router operators can/will accept, we're going to end up with an ugly, fragmented
internet in which organizations are given PI GUA space, only to
discover it's not
actually useful for reaching large swaths of the internet.

I'd hazard a guess that people would consider that to be a worse scenario
than the one in which we limit who can get PI space so that there's a reasonably
good probability that when the space is issued and announced via BGP, it will be
reachable from most of the rest of the internet...that is to say, our
current modus
operandi.

> Matthew Kaufman

Matt