IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Tue Oct 26 20:32:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:45:45PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> But how do they multihome without an ASN?

	Well, get space from one of your providers, and an LOA
to get the other to announce the deaggregate for you.

	Or they've got legacy space, and never had an AS; just
get their providers to announce it for them.

> If they have an ASN, how did they get it without going to an RIR and
> paying a fee?

	Legacy assignment...acquisition...

	And maybe they did, but just because they pay their RIR
for an ASN doesn't mean they want to step up into the fees and
documentation headaches of getting their own space. ($$$$)

	Some are even singlehomed with an ASN.  (I can think of
at least two regional providers that had an ASN while being
singlehomed because they had downstream BGP speaking customers.)

	Just because you don't do it, doesn't mean someone else
doesn't.  It's a big world.

	--msa