IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Tue Oct 26 19:37:51 UTC 2010

2.      RIPE has always issued PI space to LIRs (ISPs are by
         definition LIRs).

ISPs are not per-se LIRs.

LIRs register IP space on behalf of customers

customers that do not make delegations themselves (i'm quite sure you
don't put each and every one of your access customers into whois, for one
thing because that would violate privacy laws :P do not need to be a LIR,
and can just do so on PI space.

Shared hosting ISPs also do not make subdelegations and generally don't
even uses the ips on a one-specific-customer-per-ip basis.

So no, ISP's do not have to be a LIR, and LIRs do not have to be an ISP.
(in fact, we are considering moving our LIR activities to a completely
seperate legal entity from our internet activities).

as a LIR is just a buro that issues IP space and does not nessesarily own
or operate a network.

--
Greetings,

Sven Olaf Kamphuis,
CB3ROB Ltd. & Co. KG
Address: Koloniestrasse 34         VAT Tax ID:      DE267268209
          D-13359                   Registration:    HRA 42834 B
          BERLIN                    Phone:           +31/(0)87-8747479
          Germany                   GSM:             +49/(0)152-26410799
RIPE:    CBSK1-RIPE                e-Mail:          sven at cb3rob.net
<penpen> C3P0, der elektrische Westerwelle

Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this
email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged
and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or
individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or