IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue Oct 26 17:31:18 UTC 2010

I think ARIN is now doing sparse allocations on /28 boundaries.

My personal opinion is that it should be even more sparse, and that allocations should be done on nibble boundaries.  Any reasonably-sized ISP should get at least a /28.

I deal with many small-ish ISPs, and most are 5,000-10,000 users. Those are probably served by a /32 for quite some time. When you get into the ones that are 20,000-50,000, it gets tricker to deal with. Those should get a /28. The mega-ISPs should get a /24, or even a /20.

Another problem is that the allocations from IANA to the RIRs are too small to begin with. If there are 5 RIRs, why does there have to be so much fragmentation? It is too late for that, though.

Anyway, I think there are some proposals floating around (Owen? ;-) ) That would make the /32,/28,/24 (nibble boundary) idea into policy. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

-Randy

--
----