IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Oct 26 17:04:08 UTC 2010

On 26/10/2010 17:23, Owen DeLong wrote:
> He's talking about the bloat that comes from ISPs getting slow-started and then
> only being able to increase their network in increments of 2x each time, so,
> effectively ISP gets:
[...]
> Probably not quite as bad as IPv4, but, potentially close.

In theory, yes, it's bad.

In practice, the RIRs are implementing sparse allocation which makes it
possible to aggregate subsequent allocations.  I.e. not as bad as it may seem.

ARIN, RIPE and AfriNIC, for example, allocate on /29 boundaries.  So if you
get an initial allocation of /32, then find you need more, your subsequent
allocations will be taken from the same /29, allowing aggregation up to /29.

APNIC seem to be delegating on /22 boundaries, and LACNIC on /28.

Nick