IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Tue Oct 26 15:20:27 UTC 2010

* Jack Bates:

> So, the best that I can tell (still not through debating with RIR),
> the IPv6 routing table will see lots of bloat. Here's my reasoning so
> far:
>
> 1) RIR (ARIN in this case, don't know other RIR interpretations) only
> does initial assignments to barely cover the minimum. If you need more
> due to routing, you'll need to provide every pop, counts per pop, etc,
> to show how v6 will require more than just the minimums (full routing
> plan and customer counts to justify routing plan).

If you get better routing and reachability from not filtering at the
/32 boundary, network operators will stop filtering at the /32
boundary.  So this issue will likely go away pretty soon because you
can use our initial assignment to gain the routing flexibility you
need.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99