Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 26 05:32:43 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message <4BC01459-B53A-4B2C-B75B-47D89550DFC5 at delong.com>, Owen DeLong write
> s:
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>
>>> =20
>>> In message <E22A56B3-68F1-4A75-A091-E416800C485B at delong.com>, Owen =
>> DeLong write
>>> s:
>> ULA
>> by
>> not
>> destination
>> reaching
>> years
>> throwing
>>> =20
>>> IPv4 think.
>>> =20
>>> You don't re-address you add a new address to every node.  IPv6 is
>>> designed for multiple addresses.
>>> =20
>> That's a form of re-addressing. It's not removing the old addresses, =
>> but,
>> it is a major undertaking just the same in a large deployment.
>
> I don't see any major difference in the amount of work required to
> go from disconnected ULA to ULA + PA/PI or ULA + NAT compared to
> disconnected PI to connected PI.  Whether the machines have one or
> two address is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

If it's all SLAAC, you're right. Most people have some servers and
some other machines that get static addresses. In those cases, those
machines have to be touched to facilitate the transition if you start with
ULA. If you start with GUA, then, it's just a matter of changing the firewall
policies and the router filters, and, possibly some routes.

>> via
>>> =20
>>> Actually it can be.  You just need a easy switch to turn it off.  The
>>> router can even work itself out many times.  Configure multiple =
>> interfaces
>>> from the same ULA /48 and you pass traffic for the /48 between those
>>> interfaces.  You also pass routes for that /48 via those interfaces.
>>> =20
>> If you have an easy switch to turn it off, it will get used, thus =
>> meaning that
>> it isn't hard coded, it's just default.
>
> On by default will create a effective deterrent.

We can agree to disagree about that. However, there's enough code out
there already that isn't on by default that I think that ship has sailed.

Owen