NTP Server

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Oct 24 18:55:35 UTC 2010

One provider I worked with in the past used to offer it but stopped
because customers apparently had a wide variety of expectations on what
that should be.  It turned into a complaint generator when people would
demand stratum 1 or if one of the servers was down for a bit so they
just shut it off.  It provided no benefit as far as they were concerned
and it cost them time, effort, and power to provide it. They reasoned
that the customer could provide their own time servers and own the
issues themselves.

That is probably an exercise in properly setting expectations at the
start, though.  Provide a stratum 3 service and tell people that one of
the sources is subject to disappearing from time to time as a function
of regular maintenance and folks should be fine with that or do it
themselves.