NTP Server

Bret Clark bclark at spectraaccess.com
Sun Oct 24 17:21:32 UTC 2010

On 10/24/2010 12:29 PM, Brandon Kim wrote:
> I guess what I'm trying to understand is, is having your own NTP server just a luxury?
>
> I personally would like to have my own, I just need to pitch its advantages to my company. Unless everyone here on the NANOG group
> clearly spells it out to me that it's a luxury.
>
> I can see it as an added service/benefit though to our customers.....

We have one internally because we use private IP'S on some of our own
equipment for security reasons and those systems are unable to poll an
external NTP server on the Internet. Plus some of our equipment only
accepts a single NTP server and in the past we occasionally found
external NTP servers to not be up, at least with our own server we know
if it's accessible or not. As for pitching one to your company, not sure
why that's an issue...talking about 500K app that can run on $50 pc with
Linux from ebay

Bret