IPv6 fc00::/7 ??? Unique local addresses

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Oct 24 10:05:47 UTC 2010

> What would be nice would be if we changed the semantics a bit and made
> it 16+48+64 where the first 16 of the dest+source could be
re-assembled
> into the destination ASN for the packet and the remaining 48
identified
> a particular subnet globally with 64 for the host. Unfortunately, that
> ship
> has probably sailed.

On the other hand, it probably would have been easier (and more widely
adopted already) to simply go to an "internet of internets" model where
you break the planet up into 32-bit regions, each with their own 32-bit
"internets" and just use what amounts to IPIP tunneling between them and
enlarge the standard MTU from 1500 to accommodate that without further
packet fragmentation.

And speaking of changing MTU, is there any reason why private exchanges
shouldn't support jumbo frames? Is there any reason nowadays that things
that are ethernet end to end can't be MTU 9000 instead of 1500?  It
certainly would improve performance and reduce the packets/sec and
increase performance on latent links.  Why are we still using 1500 MTU
when peering?  Is there any gear at peering points that DOESN'T support
jumbo frames these days?