IPv4 sunset date revised : 2009-02-05

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Oct 22 20:36:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:20:45PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:

> > From: bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
> >

> > 	ah... but the trick is to only need enough IPv4 in the pool
> > 	to dynamically talk to the Internet.  Native v6 to Native v6
> > 	never has to drop back to the Internet, It uses native v6
> > 	paths.  So the larger the v6 uptake, the fewer Internet addreses
> > 	you'll need to keep around in your pool.
>
> Ok, it wasn't clear in the docs that it was a dynamic translation from
> v6 to a smaller pool of v4 IPs, it implied it was a direct translation.

	i think it started out that way.  one of my students
	tweeked DHCP to do the right thing wrt IP assignment
	from the pool (can't use the MAC, must use the v6 address)
	and then dynamic DNS update.  Others have looked at and
	built higher capacity tools - you could ask Charlie Perkins
	about his experiences.  End of the day, this isn't rocket
	science, isn't new, and there are communities of folks who
	have, in their own quiet way, made the switch already.

	for some, a flag day may occur.  I think it will be rare, but
	it could happen.

	for the aware, moving to IPv6 was something we planned on
	and executed over the past few years.  for the less aware,
	they are just waking up and are concerned.  some are still
	sleeping.

	paraphrasing N.Maxwell;  "$Diety does not use the voice of
	thunder when a still small voice will do."

	anyone still not paying attention?  (read the CERNET2 reports
	on the costs of dual-stack...) Native may be your best long
	term bet.

--bill