IPv6 fc00::/7 ??? Unique local addresses

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Oct 22 13:38:04 UTC 2010

In a message written on Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 06:25:18PM +1030, Mark Smith wrote:
> There isn't a method to specify a default gateway in DHCPv6. Some
> people want it, however it seems a bit pointless to me if you're going
> to have RAs announcing M/O bits anyway - you may as well use those RAs
> to announce a default router too.

There are some folks (like me) who advocate a DHCPv6 that can convey
a default gateway AND the ability to turn off RA's entirely.  That
is make it work like IPv4.

There are pros, and cons; but I can think of a number of deployment
scenarios where it would be a vast improvement and beleive strongly
operators should have the choice.

Unfortunately the folks in the IETF don't even want to listen, to the
point a working group chair when I tried to explain why I wanted such a
feater told the rest of the group "He's an operator and thus doesn't
understand how any of this works, ignore him."  That's when I gave up
on the IETF, and started working on my vendor for the solution.